Penang Sentral Bus Terminal
Penang Sentral Bus Terminal is Malaysia’s northern transportation hub that connects buses, ferries, trains, and taxis, all in one place. The complex also comprises residential and commercial components. This bus station is located at Seberang Perai in Butterworth. It has all the facilities to keep the passengers comfortable and entertained while waiting for their rides. There are clear signboards to direct you to your destination points.
The facilities inside the Penang Sentral bus terminal are spread on multiple levels. Level 1 has a bus service area with pickup and drop-off, police assistance, restrooms, etc. The area for express buses and local stage coaches are separate. Level 2 is wheelchair accessible and consists of an information desk, taxi services, ticket counters for buses and taxis, and other facilities. Level 2 also connects to the KTM train station and ferry terminal. Level 3 has a parking space, food court, restrooms, and shops. As you can see, Penang Sentral is more than a transportation hub where passengers can hangout out, spend some time, and shop or have food. You can book Penang Sentral bus tickets online on redBus and save more!
How to Get to Penang Sentral Bus Terminal
- Taxis and Cabs
Cabs and taxis from all parts of Penang reach Level 2 of the Butterworth bus terminal. Take the escalator downwards to level 1 to board your bus. The fare on these may be higher than on trains and buses.
Being a major transportation hub, you can also reach Penang Sentral via trains. Catch the KTM train line from the city to reach the bus terminal. Cross to the bus station from level 2 to get to the pickup area for your buses.
Local and express buses reach Penang Sentral bus terminal, so you will have no difficulty reaching here from the city. The drop-off area is the same for all buses, but the pickup point will differ for local and long-distance buses. Penang Sentral to Georgetown local buses will have their pickup point on one side of the terminal, while long-distance buses from Kuala Lumpur to Malacca will be from the other. But both will be on the same level.
- Personal Vehicle
Parking space at the Penang Sentral bus terminal is on level 3, open to the public. You may park your private vehicle here and board your bus to your destination. Parking charges will be calculated on an hourly basis. Overnight parking is also available here.
Popular Bus Routes
Buses from Penang Sentral bus station operate locally, to other cities and states in Malaysia and Singapore and Hat Yai in Thailand.
- Penang Sentral to Batu Pahat Bus Terminal
- Penang Sentral to Cameron Highlands
- Penang Sentral to Hentian Duta
- Penang Sentral to Kuala Lumpur
- Penang Sentral to TBS (Terminal Bersepadu Selatan)
- Penang Sentral to Ipoh
- Penang Sentral to Ipoh Amanjaya
- Penang Sentral to Muar Bus Terminal
- Penang Sentral to Shah Alam
- Penang Sentral to Singapore
- Penang Sentral to Klang Sentral
Popular Bus Companies
Different bus companies operate from the Penang Sentral bus terminal depending on the route. Some of the prominent ones include,
- Transtar Travel
- Konsortium (Malaysia)
- KKKL Travel & Tours Pte Ltd
- WTS Travel City Holidays
- Unititi Express
- Cosmic Express
- Kesatuan Express
- KPB Ekspress
- Intertop Express
- GJG Express
- Mega Star Transportation (Kejora Express)
- Supernice Grassland
- Persada Travels & Tours Sdn Bhd
Amenities at the Penang Sentral Bus Terminal
- Luggage lockers are available for rent at the Penang Sentral bus terminal. The rent will be different depending upon the size of the baggage. It will be available for up to 12 hrs.
- ATMs are available right next to the ticketing counters in Level 2 where you can book the tickets for buses and taxis. The counters will be separate for these but all on the same level.
- Money exchange counters are also available at the Penang Sentral bus station.
- Ticket counters are on one side at Level 2
- Shops are available at Levels 2 and 3 mainly. They include mobile shops, convenience shops, eateries, book stall, ice cream parlors, etc.
- Eateries available at the Penang Sentral bus terminal include KFC, 4Fingers, food court, etc.
Things You Can Do in and around Penang Sentral Bus Station
- A ferry ride from Penang Sentral to Penang Island. The 20-minute ride on the ferry is well worth it, with a spectacular view of the city and the sea.
- Hike to the top of Penang Hill to enjoy the view of the valley and lush greenery. This was the first hill station developed by the British in Malaysia. Located just 6 km from Georgetown, the temperature here is around 5 degrees colder. From the top, you can see the mountains of the Langkawi islands.
- Fort Cornwallis is a historical monument named after Charles Cornwallis, the Governor-General of Bengal. It is located in Georgetown and easily accessible. There are prison cells inside the fort used in the historical period. A chapel, harbour light, and storage area are also part of the fort.
- Sri Mahamariamman temple, built in Dravidian style, is a famous Hindu temple in Penang. This 200 yrs old temple has spectacular statues on the tower, embellishments in gold, silver, diamond, etc on the various statues of other gods as well.
- Penang War Museum: At Bukit Maung, the British Army made a fortress to protect the land but lost it to the Japanese army.
- Penang Museum is in a beautiful colonial building that houses several artifacts, old photographs, Chinese furniture, historical documents, etc., giving you a glimpse of the olden times of Penang. The Rapid Penang Bus has a direct route to the museum.
- Penang Bridge is an architectural marvel in the city. It is the 5th longest bridge in the world and the longest in Asia. It connects Gelugor and Seberang Prai. The design won a few awards over the years.
You can enjoy various savings such as redDeal discounts, promo codes and many more. Use the code 'MYNEW' and enjoy up to 50% discount when you book bus tickets online. Interesting right? Let's buy a ticket with redBus today!